The history and commemoration of the Second World War air raids on Sheffield
The Sheffield Blitz Memorial Trust have secured funds from the Heritage Lottery Fund to tell the story of the Sheffield Blitz.
During 2015 – 2017, the Trust will develop the following:
* A major launch event on the 75th anniversary of the first attack (December 12, 2015).
* A permanent Sheffield Blitz Heritage Trail which will publicise and tell the stories of significant sites around the city centre area with the aid of listening posts, interpretation panels, leaflet and more.
* The collection of scores of personal memories which will go towards the production of an ‘hour by hour’, ‘day-by-day’ book which will tell the story of the Sheffield Blitz like never before.
* Drawing on untapped archive material and memorabilia to provide permanent and travelling Sheffield-based Blitz exhibitions.
* The creation of an online archive of materials and digital exhibition – to be hosted on this website.
The Sheffield Blitz 75th project is set to last over two years and will end on the anniversary of the last German raids on the UK. It will tell the inter-connected Sheffield stories of human spirit, steel production and revival.